The Information We Collect
When you visit LC you provide us with two types of information: personal information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected by us and Web Site use information collected by us as you interact with our Web Site.
As an LC “User,” you fall into at least one of three categories: LC Registrant, LC Member, and LC Merchandise Purchaser. When you register with LC, you provide us with certain personal information, such as your name, email address, and zip code. When you become an LC Member or Merchandise Purchaser, you provide us with additional information, including but not limited to your telephone number, your credit card information, your address, your gender, date of birth, your military affiliations, and any other personal or preference information that you provide to us. LC and its vendors may store or retain your credit card information if you select the option to donate on a recurring basis.
Website Use Information
- IP Addresses. When you enter LC, we collect your browser type and IP address. This information is gathered for all LC visitors.
- Cookies. Westore certain information from your browser using “cookies.” A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user’s computer tied to information about the user. We use session ID cookies to confirm that users are logged in. These cookies terminate once the user closes the browser. By default, we use a persistent cookie that stores your login ID (but not your password) to make it easier for you to login when you come back to LC. You can remove or block this cookie using the settings in your browser if you want to disable this convenience feature. Member Data. When you become a member of LC, you may set up your personal profile, form relationships, send messages, set up a blog, perform searches and queries, form groups, set up events, add applications, and transmit information through various channels. We collect this information so that we can provide you the service and offer personalized features. In most cases, we retain it so that, for instance, you can return to view prior messages you have sent or easily see your friend list. When you update information, we usually keep a backup copy of the prior version for a reasonable period of time to enable reversion to the prior version of that information
Any improper collection or misuse of information provided on LC is a violation of the LC Terms of Service and should be reported through the Help Center.
By using LC, you are consenting to have your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States.
Use of Information Obtained by LC
When you register with LC, you create your own profile and privacy settings. Your profile information, as well as your name, email and photo, are displayed to people you specified in your privacy settings to enable you to connect with people on LC. You agree to permit LC to share your name, email address, or other contact information with its state coordinators, or to send notifications regarding new services offered by LC which may be of value to you.
Profile information is used by LC primarily to be presented back to and edited by you when you access the service and to be presented to others permitted to view that information by your privacy settings. In some cases where your privacy settings permit it other LC users may be able to supplement your profile.
Profile information you submit to LC will be available to users you allow to access the information. Your name, affiliations, and profile picture thumbnail will be available in search results across the LC network and those limited pieces of information may be made available to third party search engines. This is primarily so you can connect with others through LC. People who see your name in searches, however, will not be able to access your profile information unless they have a relationship to you that allows such access based on your privacy settings.
LC may send you service-related announcements from time to time through the general operation of the service. Generally, you may opt out of such emails, though LC reserves the right to send you notices about your account even if you opt out of all voluntary email notifications.
LC may use information in your profile without identifying you as an individual to third parties, generally, although not always, through aggregating your information with those of other LC users.
We may use information about you that we collect from other sources, including but not limited to newspapers and Internet sources such as blogs, instant messaging services, and other users of LC, to supplement your profile. Where such information is used, we generally allow you to specify in your privacy settings that you do not want this to be done or to take other actions that limit the connection of this information to your profile.
Sharing Your Information with Third Parties
LC is about sharing information with others while providing you with privacy settings that restrict other users from accessing your information. We allow you to choose the information you provide to friends, other LC users, and the general public through LC. Our network architecture and your privacy settings allow you to make informed choices about who has access to your information. We do not provide contact information to third party marketers without your permission. We share your information with third parties only in limited circumstances where we believe such sharing is 1) reasonably necessary to offer the service, 2) legally required or, 3) permitted by you. For example:
- Unlike most sites on the Web, LC limits access to site information by third party search engine “crawlers” (e.g. Google, Yahoo, MSN, Ask). LC takes action to block access by these engines to personal information beyond your name, profile picture, and limited aggregated data about your profile.
- We may provide information to service providers to help us bring you the services we offer. Specifically, we may use third parties to facilitate our business, such as to host the service at a co-location facility for servers, to send out email updates about LC, to remove repetitive information from our user lists, to process payments for products or services, to offer an online job application process, or to provide search results or links (including sponsored links). In connection with these offerings and business operations, our service providers may have access to your personal information for use for a limited time in connection with these business activities. Where we utilize third parties for the processing of any personal information, we implement reasonable contractual and technical protections limiting the use of that information to the LC-specified purposes.
- We may be required to disclose user information pursuant to lawful requests, such as subpoenas or court orders, or in compliance with applicable laws. We do not reveal information until we have a good faith belief that an information request by law enforcement or private litigants meets applicable legal standards. Additionally, we may share account or other information when we believe it is necessary to comply with law, to protect our interests or property, to prevent fraud or other illegal activity perpetrated through the LC service or using the LC name, or to prevent imminent bodily harm. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, agents or government agencies.
When you use LC, certain information you post or share with third parties, such as personal information, comments, messages, photos, videos, or other information, may be shared with other users in accordance with the privacy settings you select. All such sharing of information is done at your own risk. Please keep in mind that if you disclose personal information in your profile or when posting comments, messages, photos, videos, or other items, this information may become publicly available.
Security of Your Information
LC takes appropriate precautions to protect our users’ information. Your account information is located on a secured server behind a firewall. When you enter sensitive information, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). (To learn more about SSL, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer). Although we implemented security measures to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of such information.
Because email and instant messaging are not recognized as secure communications, we request that you not send private information to us by email or instant messaging services. If you have any questions about the security of LC Web Site, please contact us through the Help Center.
Changing or Removing Information
Access and control over most personal information on LC is readily available through the profile editing tools. LC Members may modify or delete any of their profile information at any time by logging into their account. Information will be updated immediately. Individuals who wish to deactivate their LC account may do so on the My Activism Portal page. Removed information may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time but will not be generally available to members of LC.
Where you make use of the communication features of the service to share information with other individuals on LC, however, you generally cannot remove such communications.
Links to Other Websites
LC may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other web sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information.
Third Party Advertising
Children under Age 13. LC does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register to use LC. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to register for LC or send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to or on LC. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us through the form on our help page.
Children between the Ages of 13 and 18. We recommend that minors 13 years of age or older ask their parents for permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet.
Contacting the Web Site
Liberty Central, Inc.
12587 Fair Lakes Circle, Suite 331
Fairfax, VA 22033